It really boils down to the 1st reason listed: margin requirements are way less in the futures markets, meaning your ROI is much higher.
I can typically sell a far out-of-the-money futures option with 3 months to expiry and receive a $500 premium, while only requiring about $1500 or less to be set aside (the margin). That's a 30% return in 3 months. A similar type of trade in the equities market supposedly might get you a $300 premium and require $3000 in margin -- only a 10% return.
It's really the difference between whether you want to make $50,000 over 10 years or make $500,000 over 10 years.
Margin requirements can be even further reduced in the futures market due to the SPAN margin system, which takes into account your whole portfolio when determining your overall risk exposure. My favorite trade type that takes advantage of this is a short option strangle, which allows you to significantly increase your return on investment. I'll talk about SPAN margin and Strangles in my next post.
As for the authors' 3rd reason for why to trade futures options, that being that the futures options markets are more liquid, I don't think the statement has much weight. I haven't done any equities option selling, but I can't imagine it being less liquid than what I see in the futures options markets. Some commodities hardly have any options traded in a day. Yes, I'm looking at you, Cocoa -- not a single trade of the May options at any strike price over 2 days. And the bid/ask spreads, if there actually are any bids or asks, are simply insane. So the futures options markets are anything but easy to trade in.
No comments:
Post a Comment