Monday, November 16, 2009

Option Selling - Part 3 - The Book and The Strategy

After researching books on option selling, I ended up buying the book "The Complete Guide to Option Selling (2nd edition)" by James Cordier & Michael Gross.

This is the book to buy if you're interested in option selling in the futures market. Actually, I think it is the only book out there devoted to the topic, but thankfully it is a great book written by experts who explain things very clearly, and whose views I could fully agree with every step of the way. However, do NOT buy this book to learn about the futures market or options trading, as it does assume you have some knowledge in these areas. I skimmed some good introductory books in Chapters/Indigo a long time ago, but I don't remember their titles.

In the book, they present a fairly specific approach to selling options, and they sold me (no pun intended) on their techniques, even completely changing my mind on a few key strategies (longer-term vs. shorter term options and naked selling vs. spreads).

James Cordier's company is Liberty Trading group, and their website is here: http://www.libertytradinggroup.com/
Oh, and I should've posted this perfect introduction to option selling from their site for my "Why Sell Options" post: http://www.libertytradinggroup.com/benefits.html

But the point of this post is to point out the core strategy that I'm following, which is explained here: http://www.libertytradinggroup.com/strategy.html

Since the above links explain the concepts so well, there's nothing really for me to add here. If you're too lazy to read the links, the core concepts are:
1) Knowing your fundamentals
2) Selling with 3-5 months to expiry
3) Selling deep out-of-the-money options (as in 50 - 100% out-of-the-money).
4) Proper risk management.

The only thing I've noticed in my trading adventures so far is that it's really hard to find an option that's 50 - 100% out-of-the-money with any decent premium. Although, I guess I've been looking closer to the 3-month expiry dates than the 5 month ones. I need to learn to not be so scared to go out longer term. However, I still think those percentages don't make sense in some commodities. For example, with gold, knowing the fundamentals (concept #1), you know trying to sell gold puts at $550 (50% of price) is ridiculous -- everyone else knows this too, which is why you can't get a gold put at that strike price for even $20. So I think there's some leeway in those percentages. But the key is to go farther out of the money than you think (I'm already close to getting burnt by not following this advice in one of my trades).

No comments: